Data Import Overview
Fleetio offers Data Import for the following Record Types:
- Fuel Entries
- Meter Readings
- Contact Renewal Reminders
- Service Entries
- Service Reminders
- Service Tasks
- Vehicle Assignments
- Vehicle Renewal Reminders
TIP: Learn more in our Imports training video.
Preparing your data file
Fleetio supports the ability for users to import data from a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file. CSV files can be created from spreadsheet programs by accessing the "Download as" or "Save as" option and choosing this file type.
The best way to ensure correct file format and compatible fields is to download an Import Template for the corresponding data type.
Navigate to your Company drop-down menu, then choose Import Data and click the Import Templates drop-down. Choose the data type, then Headers Only for a blank template you may fill with your own data.
Starting a new import
The import process can be started from Actions button on the main menu page for the data type you are importing (i.e. Vehicles, Service Entries, Fuel Entries).
Or, initiate a new import by navigating to your Company drop-down menu, then choose Import Data (see above) and click the + New Import button.
Step 1: Upload a file with data to import
- Drag-and-drop your file into position, or click the Pick File button and navigate to the CSV file you wish to import
- Select the Record Type - the type of data you wish to import
This is pre-selected if you initiate the import from one of the list screens
- Select the Delimiter - this defaults to Comma (CSV), as this is the recommended file type
- Click Continue to proceed
Step 2: Match file columns to Fleetio fields
In Step 2 you are presented with two options: Select an Existing Mapping and Setup a New Mapping.
A "mapping" defines how the columns in your source file should match to the corresponding destination fields in the Fleetio database.
In many cases, the files that you import will be generated from other software or databases outside Fleetio. This is especially true if you're transitioning to Fleetio from another fleet maintenance system. Since different systems use different names for the same information, this process ensures that the data ends up in the correct places.
Select an Existing Mapping
If you've previously created an Import mapping, you can select it from the drop-down box. Mappings are identifiable by the date and time they were created. When you select a mapping from the list, you'll be shown the column mapping that was saved, so that you may verify it is correct.
NOTE: Mappings are separated by type, so a mapping created for a Vehicle Import will not be visible during a Fuel Entry Import.
Set Up a New Mapping
If this is your first upload for a particular type, or if you wish to create a new mapping, choose this option. Depending on the data type, you'll be presented with several sections:
- Description: A simple description for this mapping. This field is not required, but it helps to easily identify a mapping to reuse it in the future.
- Vehicle Lookup Column: This drop-down is only shown for Meter, Service, and Fuel imports. Each row in the file must contain a unique identifier for the corresponding vehicle, otherwise Fleetio has no way of knowing which vehicle to save the entry to. The default unique identifier is Vehicle Name. We also support external IDs, making it easy to use the same identifiers as your external systems.
- Fleetio Field Mapping: This section allows you to map the columns in the file to fields in Fleetio. For each column you will be presented with the column name and the first 2 rows of data in the file as a sample (and to make it easier to identify the column). On the right, you'll see "Fleetio Field Mapping" followed by a drop down. Select which field in Fleetio matches the column in the file. If the column does not match a field in Fleetio, simply choose the "Nothing (skip)" option.
Processing Results - Import State
The import will begin processing and display a State of Queued for a brief period.
Once the file has processed, a banner will appear at the top of the page with a link that reads Your changes are ready! Click here to reload the page. Click this link to view import results.
The import State will display. If the State is Complete, no errors were found. Review the imported records to ensure that all data displays as intended.
If your import contains any errors, the State will display as Partially Complete or Failed.
A history of your Imports is available for your review, and includes the Filename, Type, State, Date Created/Completed, and results for Successful/Failed Records.
You may Filter and Search these results:
Delete, Undo or "Roll Back" an Import
Situations may occur where a new import file contains inaccurate data or is missing key information. For these scenarios, Fleetio supports the option to “roll back” an import file. This will remove all records from your Fleetio system that were included in the import.
TIP: Learn more in the Import Rollbacks article.
Update existing data via an Import File
Fleetio supports the ability to update existing data in your Fleetio system through the import process.
TIP: Learn more in the Update Data via Import File article.