Importing Data into Fleetio
PERMISSION: Owners and Admin users with the "Manage Account Settings" permission can process data imports. Learn more about user permissions.
Fleetio supports the ability for users to import data from a CSV file. You can import the following record types:
- Vehicle Renewal Reminders
- Fuel Entries
- Service Entries
- Meter Entries (a.k.a. meter readings)
- Contact Renewal Reminders
- Service Reminders
- Service Tasks
NOTE: CSV (comma separated value) files can be created from spreadsheet programs like Excel or Google Sheets by accessing the "Download as" or "Save as" option from the program's standard toolbar.
Preparing your data file
Starting a new import
The import process can be started from the main menu pages for the data type you are importing (i.e. Vehicles, Service Entries, Fuel Entries pages, etc.
You can also start a new import from Settings > Import Data. This is also where all Import Templates can be downloaded.
Step 1: Upload a file with data to import
- Pick a File: This one's easy! This is the file that you want to upload and import.
IMPORTANT: Only .csv files are supported at this time. Microsoft Excel files are not directly supported, but you can easily export to .csv from within Excel. You can also test the file at http://csvlint.io/ to ensure your file meets .csv standards.
- Record Type: Select which type of record you wish to import. This is pre-selected if you click the "Import" button from one of the list screens.
- Delimiter: Defaults to "Comma (CSV)" as this is the only file type that is recommended. If you are using Excel, you can easily export a file as a CSV by clicking File > Save As and selecting CSV as the format.
Click Continue to move to step two.
TIP: Don't forget that Fleetio provides import templates for all import types. Go to Settings > Imports and select the applicable template from the Import Templates dropdown box.
Step 2: Match file columns to Fleetio fields
Here you'll be given two options: Select an Existing Mapping and Setup a New Mapping.
What's a mapping?
A "mapping" defines how the columns in your data file should "match up" with the fields in the Fleetio database.
Most of the time, the files that you import will come from different software or databases outside of Fleetio. This is especially true if you're moving to Fleetio from another system.
Because different systems use different names for the same information, we need to make sure that the column names correspond to a field name in Fleetio. This allows you to avoid having to rename fields in your file each time you run an import.
Select an Existing Mapping
If you've previously created an import mapping, you can select it from the dropdown box. Mappings are identifiable by the date and time they were created. When you select a mapping from the list, you'll be shown the column mapping that was saved, making easy to verify that the mapping is indeed the one you were looking for.
NOTE: Mappings are separated by type, so a mapping created for a vehicle import will not be visible during a fuel entry import.
Setup a New Mapping
If this is your first upload for a particular type, or if you wish to create a new mapping, choose this option. You'll be presented with three sections:
- Description: A simple description for this mapping. This field is not required, but it helps to easily identify a mapping to reuse it in the future.
- Vehicle Lookup Column: This drop-down is only shown for meter, service, and fuel imports. Each row in the file must contain a unique identifier for the vehicle, otherwise Fleetio has no way of knowing which vehicle to save the fuel/service/meter entry to. The default unique identifier in Fleetio is the vehicle name. We also support external ids making it easy to use the same identifiers that your external systems use.
- Columns: This section allows you to map the columns in the file to fields in Fleetio. For each column you will be presented with the column name and the first 2 rows of data in the file as a sample (and to make it easier to identify the column). On the right, you'll see "Fleetio Field Mapping" followed by a drop down. Select which field in Fleetio matches the column in the file. If the column does not match a field in Fleetio, simply choose the "Nothing (skip)" option.
The import will begin processing and display a status of "Queued" for a brief period. Once the file has processed a link will appear at the top of the page that reads "Click here to reload the page". Click this link to view if the import was processed successfully or if errors were found in the file.
If your import contains any errors, you will be shown the number of errors on the the main index page. Clicking on that number brings up a full listing of error messages. See our Importing Errors article for more information.
IMPORTANT: A file that displays a "Failed" status was not processed successfully therefore no data will be loaded into Fleetio. The file must be updated to resolve all errors displayed, re-imported and receive a status of "Complete" before the data will appear in the system.
Delete an Import File
Situations may occur where a new import file contains inaccurate data or is missing key information. For these scenarios, Fleetio supports the option to “rollback” an import file. This will remove all records from your Fleetio system that were included in the import.
For more information on deleting an import file, see our article on Import Rollbacks.
Updating existing data via an Import File
Fleetio supports the ability to update existing data in your Fleetio system through importing as well. To learn more, visit our Updating Data via Import File article.